Saturday, October 30, 2010

Meet the gang.

I promise I'll get to some more interesting events.
But I feel like I need to start from the beginning as this is really the only way anyone can understand what raising Andrew has involved.

Through the years many people have come in and out of our lives. Some where there for just a moment to help us through a single period, some have been with us forever.
It reminds me of the poem (I guess it's called a poem) A Reason, A Season or A Lifetime (I'll post that next).

As you take this journey with me, you will hear me mention several names..
Some for a reason, some for a season, some for a life time.

Allow me to introduce a few of the major player.

Kerri.. That's me. I'm the mom
Jimmy.. Andrew's father. As good hearted as he is, hasn't always been what he needed to be for our children (I swear this won't be a Jimmy bashing blog)
Ryleigh.. Andrew's little sister. There are 8 years between them.
Granna.. AKA Bev. My mom. My guidance, my conscience, my friend.
Jackie.. AKA Jack. My dad. Dad stepped up as a male role model for Andrew, when his own father wasn't able.
Grandma and Grandpa Johnson AKA Pat and Bob. Good people that had ideas that seemed strange to me.. Like my cravings. Jimmy's parents informed him that if I didn't fulfill all of my cravings while I was pregnant, the baby would be scarred. This worked out really well for my midnight HoHo cravings.
Aunt Kim. My sister. Who has gone above and beyond show Andrew a better, safer path.
And give him opportunities to experience things I couldn't give him.
Uncle Kevin. My brother. The muscle. I'm not going to go into too much detail for obvious reasons. But because he has been interviewed on Tru TV and introduced as such, I feel safe saying that he is an ATF agent. Although if you ask, we'll tell you he sells shoes.
Uncle Jeff. My sister's husband. Jeff has known Andrew since birth. And immediately and lovingly nicknamed him "tornaydee". Many people coming into a family might not have been so accepting of Andrew.. But Jeff has loved him unconditionally. And been a source of support for both Andrew and myself.
Aunt Melissa. My brother's wife. Melissa was lucky enough to have missed the really tough times.. But she too has been completely accepting of Andrew. She got to know him I think before she really started hearing the stories.. I might point out (as I will several time) Andrew is extremely lovable.
Aunt Dana. Dana hates when I introduce her this way. But we were sisters-in-law. She was married to Jimmy's brother John. We didn't like each other at first. But we're now great friends and she is supportive and at the same time, a great reality check. Not afraid to tell Andrew when she doesn't approve. And not afraid to tell me when I haven't made the greatest parenting choices.
Laurie. AKA Miss Laurie. A fantastic friend who stepped in when Drew was in elementary school. He would go to her house before and after school. Very early on, he developed a deep respect for Laurie, that continues today. She's been sort of a surrogate mom.
Aunt Kara and Uncle Lester. Jimmy's brother and sister-in-law. They both have always taken an interest in Andrew. Loved him, loved us.. And continue to stay involved..
Later you will meet Scott. My boyfriend (I really hate the word "boyfriend"). He came along 2.5 years ago. Originally I told him to run - fast.. Thank God he didn't. He has accepted both kids (and me). And although I know sometimes my parenting makes him crazy, he does not for one second, try to change any of us.

You will meet some other people along the way. Some very helpful folks, some not so much. Our support system is large and strong. With people have different ideas, different thoughts and different opinions.
I'd lake to make a very important point. Survival requires a strong, intricate, diverse support system.
As a parent you may not always agree with your support systems opinions. But I strongly recommend you listen to all of them. In every opinion you disagree with, I promise you, there will be a tiny morsel of information that will help you.

So there you have it. The main cast of characters.

No comments: