Thursday, October 21, 2010

What it is

My writing goal has always been to write a book about Andrew.
Not because I like him better than I like Ryleigh. Let's clear that up right now. I do not play favorites. I love my kids differently, but equally.

No the goal is this: Andrew was a juvenile delinquent. A hand full. I hate to say "problem child" but a child with problems.
And over the years, Andrew's antics and how I've dealt with them have left me feeling isolated, judged, frowned upon, and more importantly for the sake of this blog, alone.

I've wanted to write a book for all the mother's out there dealing with children like Andrew. To reach out to all those mother's (and father's) who feel alone. Letting them know they're not..

Well the idea of a book is overwhelming to me. I lay awake at night thinking about everything I want to say in this book. But something stops me from actually starting.
So since I already blog, I thought maybe I could take a baby step and just start here.

Some things you should know first.
*I am not a psychologist, psychiatrist, sociologist, therapist or any other thing that ends is "ist". I'm not a professional in this field. Just a mom that struggled (struggles).
*Besides my mom, my family really has no idea everything that has gone on in the last 21 years. I've kept most of it to myself and some of it to my mom. So for me to take this step and share in complete honesty is a little scary.
*You as a reader may not always agree with how I handled things. But as you read future posts I pose this question. Unless you were here walking in our shoes, how do you know how you would really handle things?
*As you read you will see me refer to Andrew as Andrew, Drew, Drewski, A-Dogg and sometimes just Boy.
*You might read some things that will make you want to judge Drew. Please do not.
He has the most amazingly huge heart, fantastic sense of humor, he is thoughtful, loves kids and elderly people, and believe it or not he's polite and respectful.
His only flaw is that he is a follower with some not so great judgement.

I have to say this again. This is not about bashing my son. This is about me and how I handled things. If a parent in turmoil can take something away that will help them, I have accomplished what I've set out to do.

Hopefully as you read you will laugh. I'll explain where the humor comes in, on a different post.

Unfortunately since this is a blog, I can't go back and insert posts. So there may be something I remember out of order. I apologize. If it ever makes it to book form, I'll arrange it chronologically.

I probably should add that if you're easily offended, read with caution.
You will read shits, damns, hells, and regrettably an occasional f-bomb.
You will not hear the words God and Damn used together as I find this the most offensive language anyone could speak.

I hope you'll keep reading.

No comments: